Pages

I love rice and so does my husband. We try to find different ways to prepare and enjoy this wonderful food. Through time, we found hundreds of recipes, some simple and some exotic, and have enjoyed preparing them. We've found some real winners, which I have published on this blog and some that are not so great, which are in my personal "do not" repeat folder. I have created this site to share those memorable dishes - which are all about this wonderful food called "rice".

Nilagang Manok (Filipino Chicken Vegetable Soup)

This is not your ordinary chicken vegetable soup. As with many island cultures, soup is very big in the Philippines served over rice.  You can use beef instead of chicken if you prefer.  There are no strict rules on the vegetables either.  Use whatever yo want, when I cannot find bok choy, I use cabbage. Cheyote is good with this and I have seen potatoes as well.   This is very popular in many Filipino homes since it is an easy meal to prepare with lots of vegetables.  The chicken broth just feeds your soul.  Now, I did make some changes to the original recipe.  I find I like more seasoning in mine.  I played around until I came up with this version.

















Ingredients:

1-1/2lbs chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, drumsticks, etc.)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1/2 inch ginger (minced)
2 small stalks celery (whole w/leaves)
6-8 peppercorns
3-4 carrots (peeled and cut)
1 small onion (peeled and quartered)
8 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1/2 lb of green beans
8 baby bok choys (cleaned and removed from core)
2 tblsp canola or olive oil
Salt to taste

In a large stock pot, heat the oil, then add onion, garlic, bay leaf, peppercorn and ginger.  Cook while stirring for approximately 2-3 minutes.  You want the onions to be a little soft and translucent, but do not want the garlic or ginger to brown.  Add 8 cups of chicken broth, celery, carrots and chicken. Allow to get to a roiling boil, then reduce the heat to continue a low boil for approximately 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.  Remove and discard celery stalks and bayleaf.  Season with salt and add green beans; continue to cook for another 5 minutes.  Add the baby bok choy and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.  Taste and season with salt if needed.  In a bowl, add rice and spoon nilaga over the rice. Don't forget to be generous with the broth.  You can season to taste with patis (fish sauce).  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment